Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) (SUB-CLASS 186)

The Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) is for skilled workers who want to work in Australia. This visa involves a two-step process, firstly, nomination by an approved Australian employer and then an application under the nominated stream. It is part of the Permanent Employer Sponsored Visa programme.

This visa is a permanent residence visa. You can​ be in or outside Australia when you apply. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).


The visa has three streams:


  • The Temporary Residence Transition stream


is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years, while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with their nominating employer (who has lodged a valid nomination with us under the Temporary Residence Transition stream), who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.


  • The Direct Entry stream is for
  • people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream
  • people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia, or
  • temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream


  • The Agreement stream

is for people sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.



You can apply for this visa only after you have been nominated by an employer in Australia.

Expression of interest

If you do not have an employer who will nominate you, you can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)through SkillSelect. Prospective employers and state and territory governments can then view your details and decide whether to nominate you for skilled migration.

Your EOI must specify which stream you want to be considered for. No supporting documents are required at this time. You can lodge your EOI while you are in or outside Australia.

Information about business and employment in various states and territories is available on each state’s respective websites.



You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • have been nominated by an approved Australian employer within the six months before you apply
  • are under the age of 50 at the time of application, unless you are exempt
  • have the required skills and qualifications for the position (at time of application lodgement you must have the required skills and qualifications for the position you have been nominated for – you must hold any mandatory registration, license or professional membership, or you must already be fully assessed as suitable by the relevant body)
  • have appropriate English language skills (at the time of application lodgement), unless you are exempt
  • meet health and character requirements
  • meet the requirements of the stream in which you apply.


  1. Temporary Residence Transition stream

You might be able to get this visa under the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you:

  • hold a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa​​(subclass 457)
  • have at leastvocational English (unless you are exempt from this requirement)
  • worked for two years in the same position your employer nominated you for while you held your subclass 457 visa as the primary visa holder, your employer has nominated you for a permanent position under this stream, and the nomination has been approved.

Your skills do not need to be assessed because you have already worked for your nominating employer for two years in Australia.


  1. Direct Entry stream

You might be able to get this visa under the Direct Entry stream if one of the following apply:

  • you have been nominated for a position under this stream and that nomination has been approved
  • you have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia
  • you hold a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa(subclass 457) but do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream
  • you are applying directly from outside Australia.

At time of application lodgement, you must provide evidence with your online application that you:

  • have at least competent English(unless you are exempt from this requirement)
  • have at least three years of relevant work experience
  • have a positive valid skills assessment in your nominated occupation (the skill assessment must be conducted by the relevant assessing authority listed in the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List(CSOL). Skills assessments obtained for a Subclass 485 visa will not be accepted as these types of skills assessments are not considered full skills assessments for permanent skilled migration purposes. A skills assessment is only valid until the expiry date specified on the assessment, or for a period of three years from the assessment’s date of issue, whichever occurs first.

You might not have to meet the skill assessment and work experience requirements if you:

  • were nominated as an academic by a university in Australia
  • were nominated as a scientist, researcher or technical specialist at ANZSCOskill level 1 or 2 by an Australian government scientific agency
  • have nominated earnings at least equivalent to the Australian Taxation Office top individual income tax rate (currently AUD180 001)
  • are in Australia as the holder of a Special Cate​​​gory visa (subclass 444) or New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship visa(subclass 461) and have worked with your nominating employer in your nominated occupation for the past two years (not including any period of unpaid leave) in the three years before you apply for this visa.


  1. Agreement stream

You might be able to get this visa under the Agreement stream if you are being sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement. Your employer can advise you if such an agreement is in place for your industry or occupation.

You must meet the age, skills and English language requirements stated in the agreement.​



Application Process-

When to apply:

  • You can apply when your employer lodges their nomination, or you can apply afterwards.
  • You must apply less than six months after the govt. approve the nomination.


insert chart



  • Your occupation is not on the skilled occupation list? And you want to migrate to Australia? Don’t worry! We can still get you to Australia!
  • Not getting enough qualification points? We can help you achieve them.
  • We can help prepare the application file for you, giving you bespoke counselling and guidance throughout the way.
  • Our assessments are authentic and we will offer you transparent and great advice to help your Immigration case be successful.
  • We also offer pre and post departure services that range from finding accommodation, booking flights, airport pick-ups, to Forex.